Lebanon’s Hezbollah has slammed the United States as the “mother of terror” in the world after the US reinstated sanctions against the resistance movement over claims that it is controlled by the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps’ Quds Force.
In a statement on Friday, Hezbollah rejected the US claims, describing the move as part of US attempts to press the resistance and weaken Lebanon, “with the aim of protecting the security of the Israeli enemy, entrenching its occupation of southern Lebanon and paving the way for it to carry out its expansionist projects and ambitions in the region.”
The resistance movement noted that the US action shows that Washington treats Lebanon from a “position of tutelage,” and strives to “strip Lebanon of all its sources of strength”, instead of pressuring Israel to withdraw its troops from southern Lebanon and halt its aggression.
It warned that the US policy aims to create unrest in Lebanon and divert Lebanon’s confrontation away from the Israeli enemy.
The movement dismissed any questioning of its Lebanese identity, referring to the sacrifices of thousands of its members who were killed in defense of Lebanon and its people, as well as its long history of fighting the Israeli occupation and defending Lebanese territory and sovereignty.
Hezbollah also defended its ties with Tehran, saying “Our close and fraternal relationship with the Islamic Republic of Iran is one we cherish and are proud of.”
The statement noted that Tehran has “stood by Lebanon, supported it, and helped it liberate its land and restore its sovereignty and rights. It remained at its side through all stages and crises,” including by contributing to the country’s reconstruction after the 2006 Israeli war.
Meanwhile, Hezbollah stressed that Washington “has no moral or legal authority to classify others” and determine who is patriotic.
Referring to the US “bloody criminal record”, including its military interventions in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, its unwavering support for Israel’s genocide in Gaza, its cover-up of Israel’s crimes in Lebanon, Yemen and Syria, as well as its unprovoked, illegal aggression against the Islamic Republic, Hezbollah said that these crimes and violations make the US “the mother of terrorism in the world” and disqualifies it from presenting itself as an authority over other countries and peoples.
The movement stressed that these “unjust” sanctions and designations will not undermine its commitment to “resistance” and defending the country.
“Resistance was, is and will remain an integral part of Lebanon’s history, present and future,” the statement said.
On Thursday, the US Treasury said in a statement that Hezbollah’s designation, previously that of a “terrorist organization”, had been changed to allegedly take into account the group’s alleged “service” to Iran, particularly the IRGC Quds Force, without providing any evidence about the unfounded claim.
A US State Department official claimed that “Hezbollah operates with little to no regard for Lebanese sovereignty, the Lebanese people, or the Lebanese state.”
The move comes as Washington is gearing up for intensifying sanctions against Iran.
On Wednesday, US President Donald Trump announced what he called the “most crushing economic operation” against Iran, claiming that Tehran would face “economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale”. He also threatened sanctions against any country that does business with Iran.
The threat comes as his war on Iran, launched alongside the Israeli regime on February 28, has failed to reach any of its objectives.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry strongly condemned the new round of US economic sanctions against the country, stating that the measures amount to “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity.”
