Tragedy in Karnataka: Seven women among eight dead in river mishap

Eight members of a family, including seven women, drowned while collecting freshwater mussels in Karnataka’s Uttara Kannada district after strong river currents swept them away. Two persons remain missing as rescue operations continue. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced compensation for victims’ families

Published Date – 24 May 2026, 09:06 PM

Tragedy in Karnataka: Seven women among eight dead in river mishap

Karwar (Karnataka): Eight members of a family, including seven women, drowned and two others remained missing after a group collecting freshwater mussels was swept away by strong currents in the Tatte Hakkalu river in Karnataka’s Uttara Kannada district on Sunday, police sources said.

The incident occurred near Shirali village in Bhatkal taluk when around 14 people entered the river as part of a seasonal livelihood activity practised by local communities. According to police, some members of the group moved into deeper waters without accurately assessing the river level.


“When the water flow suddenly increased, one or two persons were swept away. Others jumped in to rescue them, but several got trapped in the strong current,” police sources said.

Rescue teams, police personnel and local residents launched an intensive search operation in the river. Authorities said eight bodies had been recovered, while efforts were continuing to trace the two missing persons.

Officials said the river current intensified following rains in the region. Many of those involved were reportedly experienced in collecting freshwater mussels, an activity comparable to fishing and commonly undertaken in riverbank areas.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the tragedy and announced an ex gratia of Rs 2 lakh each from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund for the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for the injured.

President Droupadi Murmu also condoled the loss of lives, calling the incident “very distressing”. In a message, she extended condolences to the bereaved families and prayed for the speedy recovery of those injured.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh for the next of kin of each deceased victim.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *