Security forces continued a joint anti-terror operation in Rajouri’s Ghambir Mughlan forests for the second day, cordoning off the area after terrorists opened fire. Army, J&K Police, and CRPF intensified surveillance; no casualties reported as search operations remain underway
Published Date – 24 May 2026, 01:01 PM

Jammu: The anti-terrorist operation in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri district entered its second day on Sunday as heavy security deployment continued to trace the hiding terrorists. An encounter had started on Saturday in the forest area of Ghambir Mughlan when hiding terrorists opened fire at the security forces.
The terrorist fire was returned, after which an encounter started there.
The security forces, including the Army, J&K Police and the CRPF, jointly started the anti-terrorist operation in the area following intelligence inputs about the presence of 2-3 terrorists in the Ghambir Mughlan forests of Rajouri district.
Nagrota headquartered White Knight Corps of the Army said on X on Saturday, “Op Sheruwali Contact With Terrorists”. “Today at around 11:30 AM, contact was established with terrorists in the general area of #Gambhir Muglan, #Rajouri during an intelligence-based joint operation conducted alongwith @JmuKmrPolice and CRPF. Troops responded swiftly with calibrated action. Firefight ensued and a cordon has been effectively established. Operation remains underway,” the Army said.
Reinforcements were rushed to plug the escape points of the hiding terrorists after contact was established with the terrorists yesterday. It is believed that two to three terrorists may be trapped inside the forest area.
This forest area, located in the Pir Panjal range of Rajouri district, is considered one of the most challenging terrains for anti-terror operations due to its steep hills, dense forests, and limited accessibility. Security personnel have intensified surveillance in adjoining areas, setting up checkpoints and closely monitoring vehicular and pedestrian movement.
Search operations continued throughout the day as forces carried out systematic combing operations across multiple forest pockets.
The entire range has been placed under a tight cordon, and search operations are continuing. Residents are cooperating with the security agencies and hoping the situation returns to normal soon. No casualty has so far been reported from any side in this operation so far.
