Amal Movement: Talks with Israel ‘unjustified’ while Lebanese being massacred


A member of the political wing of the Amal Movement has censured the Lebanese movement over its apathy towards the massacre of ordinary civilians as a result of Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon, dismissing direct negotiations with the Tel Aviv regime while ordinary people are being killed.

Inaya Ezzeddine, a member of the Development and Liberation parliamentary bloc, stated on Monday that scenes of Israeli aggression and destruction could be seen throughout southern Lebanon, spanning from Majdal Zoun area to Kounine and Deir Seryan regions, from Zawtar al-Sharqiyah to Kfar Tebnit, from al-Mansouri town to the towns of Bint Jbeil, Ansar and Deir al-Zahrani.

“The massacre of local population in the south has become quite usual, and Lebanese officials are keeping mum on the matter,” she said.

“The most disturbing fact is that women and children constitute the bulk of casualties of this ongoing bloody onslaught. This is while certain Lebanese parties and political factions are seeking to downplay the fatalities and are characterizing them as everyday casualties,” Ezzeddine added.

She said what is more perilous than the crime itself is “getting accustomed to it.”

“What is more horrendous than seeing the massacre of ordinary Lebanese nationals is to understand that the death of an entire family has become a regular incident.”

Ezzeddine went on to slam the indifference of some Lebanese politicians to the Israeli carnage of civilians in southern Lebanon, pointing out that these individuals are soft-pedaling the atrocities as a basic part of daily life in the area.

The Lebanese legislator stated that Israel is no longer simply targeting the residents of southern Lebanon and their properties, stressing that the regime is directly assaulting the demographics, identity and livelihood of locals so that they would never be able to return to their towns and villages and build their own future.

“Houses are being blown up, neighborhoods are being destroyed, schools and clinics are being ruined, and swathes of land are being burned. The goal is not to simply target the present, but also the possibility of life in the future,” she continued.

While southern Lebanon is paying a heavy price day by day with the blood of its residents, its land and future, the Lebanese government shifts direct negotiations with the Zionist enemy from Washington to Rome. Reliance on such mechanisms, means, and approaches would not yield different results, Ezzeddine stated.

“There is a famous saying which states: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over with expectation of a different outcome,” the Lebanese lawmaker concluded.

Hezbollah launched military operations against Israel on March 2 in response to the US-Israeli aggression against Iran, repeated Israeli violations of the 2024 ceasefire, and Israel’s continued occupation of Lebanese territory in the south.

Since then, despite months of negotiations, Israel has continued its military offensive against Lebanon, and has killed 4,346 people, wounded 12,301, and displaced more than 1 million, according to Lebanese authorities.

Israel also maintains its occupation of regions in southern Lebanon, with some areas being held for decades and others since the war of 2023-2024, as its military has penetrated over 10 kilometers (6.21 miles) into Lebanese land during the current onslaught.

On June 26, Lebanon and Israel signed a US-mediated framework agreement outlining a phased Israeli withdrawal from occupied Lebanese territory.

The plan initially provides for pilot arrangements in two areas, with any further withdrawal linked to the Lebanese army assuming security responsibilities and the disarmament of resistance groups, including Hezbollah.

Hezbollah rejected the framework, warning that it effectively legitimizes the Israeli occupation of southern Lebanon.

The seventh round of Lebanon-Israel talks concluded in Rome earlier this month without a breakthrough on key territorial issues. The next round of talks is tentatively scheduled for September 1.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *